I made an apple pie.
The pie wasn’t the cheating part.
Husband did the actual work because I was sick. But even that isn’t the cheating part because he has his own little section here on YUM even if it is a little dusty *achoo*
But, I was bad.
I cheated with the crust. I just didn’t have the energy to really tell him how to make a clean, from scratch crust so we used one of those cute little Jiffy box mixes. You know, the little blue boxes? My grandma used to use them. So cute. I saved the box so kiddo can use it down in the basement in her play kitchen. I keep a few on hand because they are 25 cents at the clearance center I shop at. You never know when a situation is going to come up!
We had to have our apple trees removed (really long story) and husband was able to save a couple small apples from the destruction. He wanted to bake a small apple pie in tribute. I don’t have a lot of experience with apple pies so this really was a ‘top of my head’ type thing. Being sick was no help.
I think he did a pretty good job with the crust and me barking sickly orders. I did put too much butter in it, but I reduced it in the recipe below.
What do you think?
- 8 very small apples, cored and diced
- 1½ tbsp butter
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 5 tsp apple pie spice
- ¾ c brown sugar alternative
- ½ c zero calorie sweetener
- Mix all ingredients in bowl.
- Using pie crust of your choice, follow directions and place bottom in pie pan.
- Pour apple mixture on top of pie crust.
- Place pie crust on top of pie mixture.
- Make a few slices in pie crust to vent.
- Sprinkle with apple pie spice.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes OR according to your pie crust instructions.