A fab alternative to traditional ice cream, this dairy-free ice cream is infused with matcha green tea and hint of lime and deliciously creamy coconut milk.
I love ice cream, but sometimes the full fat milk and cream doesn’t agree with me, so I’ve been experimenting with dairy free and plant based milks for baking and general cooking.
Since the coconut milk is not as ‘fat’ as cream, I’ve used 4 egg yolks to make sure that the ice cream doesn’t crystallise and stays nice and smooth.
Since the matcha tea flavour is very subtle, I didn’t want to overpower the whole flavour with strong sugar. Plain white caster or granulated sugar is perfect for this recipe, but if you want to make your ice cream healthier you could also use honey, agave or maple syrup. It will change the flavour, so you might need to up the amount of lime or salt.
A generous pinch of salt with bring all the flavours together. You won’t notice that the ice cream is ‘salty’ in any way, but all the flavours will become more vibrant because of it.
I’ve used a coconut milk (not cream) for this recipe, which is still very creamy. It does have quite a strong flavour, so I will leave your taste buds to decide whether you want to add more matcha powder or lime zest.
I felt that the matcha tea and coconut flavour was missing something. The pinch of salt improved things a little, but I wanted the flavours to pop a bit more. I added zest from lime, which was strong enough, but if you felt that you wanted to make the ice cream a bit more zingy, you can add the lime juice too. It will go perfectly with the coconut flavour.
Matcha green tea powder
I’ve used powdered matcha green tea suitable for culinary use. This type of powder is concentrated and you only need a couple of teaspoons to flavour fair amount of cream. You could start with just one tablespoon, mix it in and then taste it. If you prefer a gentle flavouring, it might be enough.
Making & Churning your ice cream
My recipe is not that difficult to make, but it does take a bit of time if you don’t have an ice cream machine or ice cream churn. I don’t really mind, that I don’t, but it does mean that I need to plan my day around ice cream making. I guess, that’s a nice problem to have!
Hope you’ve enjoyed making this recipe
More ice cream recipes
Coconut & Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream Recipe
- 600 ml coconut milk
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons matcha green tea powder
- large pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 4 egg yolks
- In a large bowl whisk the egg yolks with the caster sugar, matcha green tea powder and a large pinch of salt, until it's thick and creamy.
- Pour the milk gradually into the eggs mixture and carry on gently whisking.
- Add the lime zest and stir it into the milk.
- Transfer everything into a large saucepan and bring to a simmering point over medium heat, whilst constantly steering or whisking.
- Carry on cooking for a few extra minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Pour it into your ice cream churn or pour it into a suitable container (for the freezer and to allow you to whisk the ice cream at the same time).
- Place in the freezer initially for 30 minutes or until you see that the sides are starting to set.
- Take the container out of the freezer and whisk the ice cream mixture for few minutes.
- Place back into the freezer and leave for another 30 minutes or so.
- Repeat this process about 4 more times or until the mixture is nice and light and looking exactly like ice cream.
- Leave to freeze until you are ready to serve your ice cream.
- Use within 3 months.