My favourite iced tea has to be a simple lemon iced tea, which is my default drink in the summer, but if I want to make something a little fancier I make my peach iced tea. It’s particularly good with fresh peaches, but if you don’t have them you can also use a peach syrup or canned peaches for flavour.
There is not much to this recipe, it’s simple, but it can also be done in many ways. Some people prefer to make the tea with a fruit tea, but I like to use a traditional Chinese tea as the base.
I usually use black Chinese tea, but white Chinese tea would make this drink a very special one, indeed! Just make sure that you don’t leave the tea leaves in for too long to prevent the tea from getting too bitter. Once that happens it’s difficult to bring the flavour back.
The most important in this recipe, apart from the peaches flavour, of course, is the fine balance between the sweetness and zestiness. I think this iced tea does need a bit of lemon to bring out the fairly light flavour of peaches.
Depending on what type of peaches you are using, I might add a little bit of sugar to balance the flavours too. It’s an entirely personal choice and if you wish, you don’t need to add any sugar at all. Just bear in mind that canned (or tinned) peaches will have higher sugar content than fresh ones.
The final trick I want to share with you is that if you are adding lemon to your drink, add it as the last ingredient. Let the sugar dissolve properly first before you add any lemon juice, as the lemon juice prevents the sugar from disolving properly.
Add a few drops, steer it in and then add more if you need to. If you add the lemon first and then you try to add sugar or other flavours, you’ll never manage to make it sweet enough without adding more sugar in and you will end up adding more sugar than if you did it the other way round.
I normally prepare my peach iced tea well in advance to give it a chance to properly chill in the fridge. If you are in a hurry and you have plenty of ice cubes, prepare the iced tea as it is, but with only about 1/2 or even 1/3 of the boiling water. You’ll be making a concentrated version of the peach drink, which will cool down quicker and then you can cool it down further by adding the ice cubes. If your drink is concentrated you won’t need to worry about the ice cubes watering down your tea!
Whether it’s summer or not, enjoy this delicious homemade peach iced tea!
Until next time
Healthy homemade peach iced tea recipe
- 500 ml boiling water
- 1 tablespoon black tea leaves or use about 3 black tea bags
- 2 peaches cored and medium sliced
- 1 peach cored, peeled and mushed up
- 3 teaspoons sugar or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- lemon juice to taste
- ice cubes
- Boil the water first and pour over the black tea. Leave to infuse for 3 minutes or so (depending on how strong you like your tea)
- Add mushed up peach, sugar and vanilla extract. Mix and let the sugar fully disolve before the next step.
- Taste the tea and adjust the flavour ( if it needs more peach flavour add another mushed up peach or sugar etc.)
- Add few drops of lemon juice and taste.
- Leave to cool down first and then move to fridge to chill properly.
- Serve with extra ice cubes and a fresh mint if you like