I’m not sure, why but I always found breakfast quite difficult meal. I’m never really hungry in the morning and don’t feel like eating much until about 10 or 11 am. This is, of course, far from ideal, if I have to be up by 6 or 7 and get ready to work.
Recently I discovered breakfast smoothies, which until now I looked at as just drinks! I seriously never even considered, that they can be a great alternative for breakfast, mainly because I thought I would be hungry if I drink just a ‘milk shake’.
But the modern smoothies are nothing but! They can be made filling, rich with vitamins, minerals and other nutritious ingredients, especially if you use wholegrain or other types of oats, high protein nut butters and natural sweeteners.
One of my favourite smoothies combinations are smoothies made with peanut butter, like Peanut Butter & Chocolate Smoothie, but the peanut butter can be actually a little overwhelming. And this is where I turn to almonds butter which is much lighter in flavour and goes well with other ingredients, like dates and warming mixed spices. You can also add egg to smoothie to increase the amount of protein and turn this smoothie into a meal replacement.
I usually make breakfast smoothie just for myself, but if you are making this for more people, just double or triple up the recipe.
Hope you enjoy making this one!
More breakfast smoothies
Almond & Dates Breakfast Smoothie with Mixed Spice Recipe
- 2 tbsp oats
- 50 ml boiling water 2-3 tablespoons just to cover the oats
- 250 ml almond milk
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 2-3 dates (pitted)
- tiny pinch of salt
- pinch of warming mixed spice (or just cinnamon or nutmeg
- Add the oats in to a blender or a suitable blender container.
- Boil water and add just enough to cover the oats. If you have the time, leave it for a while. You can also do this the night before. This will soften the oats and makes them easier to digest.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender and blend together until smooth.
- Taste and make adjustments (e.g. add an extra date if you think your smoothie is not sweet enough or add more spice if you like)
- Drink straight away or store in the fridge for max of 6-12 hrs.