A perfect way to start the day – with chocolate oat smoothie. This recipe is simple, including only chocolate, oats, yoghurt, water and a pinch of salt. I’ve also made this recipe sugar free since there is already a bit of sugar in the chocolate or the yoghurt. If you really want to you can always add a bit of sugar, honey, maple syrup or use milk chocolate with higher sugar content. I made this recipe, when I wanted to have something simpler than Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Banana Smoothie, which I normally have for breakfast.
Ingredients & substitutions
To make this chocolate smoothie, I use pretty much any chocolate I have at hand. The darker the chocolate the deeper the flavour, but you can easily use milk chocolate bar if that’s all you have. Plain chocolate is naturally high in protein and fibre and low in sugar, which of course is better than sweet milk or white chocolate.
You can also use cocoa powder instead of chocolate.
You are welcome to use any type of oats you have at home. I normally use basic breakfast (rolled) oats, but then I pour boiling water over them and cook them in the microwave to soften them. I think it’s better to do this, than to use instant oats, which have extra sugar.
To provide me with extra flavour, protein and a bit of sugar, I tend to use full-fat Greek yoghurt. I usually use dairy-free version, but you can use any type of yoghurt you like. If you don’t have yoghurt, use any type of milk you have.
More breakfast smoothies recipes
Chocolate Oat Smoothie (Sugar Free)
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup boiling water or enough to cover the oats
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup chopped up chocolate bar (up to 1/3 of cup if you like) or 1-2 tablespoon of cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup Greek or full fat yoghurt can be dairy free or any other type of yoghurt
- Measure out the oats and pour boiling water over them, just enough to cover.
- Add the chocolate or cocoa powder to the hot oats. This will melt the chocolate and help to blend in better.
- Leave the oats mixture to cool down (if you have the time)
- Add a pinch of salt and the yoghurt.
- Blend everything together and adjust the taste to suit with a bit more chocolate or even sugar.