This Pumpkin & Chia Breakfast Smoothie Recipe is perfect if you don’t want to have any carbs in the morning. Full of natural fibre and protein, this smoothie is made from pumpkin puree, chia seeds, plant-based milk and delicious pumpkin pie spice.
You’ll need to get a little bit organised to make this recipe as you’ll need to soak the chia seeds for about 12 hrs. The best thing is to do this in the evening – all you need to do is to measure out about 1 cup of plant based milk and one tablespoon of chia seeds. Stir it in a suitable container (I use a glass with a reusable plastic lid) and stick it in the fridge.
In the morning, you’ll just need to mix all the other ingredients in and you have a breakfast on the go!
You are welcome to use fresh pumpkin if you’ve just carved your Halloween pumpkin or use canned or preserved pumpkin. I’ve also used my own homemade pumpkin butter, but I’ve added only 1/2 cup and didn’t use any sweetener and used less pumpkin pie spice as there is sugar and the spice in the pumpkin butter already.
More Breafast Smoothies Inspiration
Pumpkin & Chia Breakfast Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup milk any milk, including plant based – soya, rice or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup fresh pumpkin or use 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree
- tiny pinch salt
- 2-3 teaspoons maple syrup date or rice syrup is also fine to use or sugar
- Put the chia seeds in the milk and leave overnight in the fridge to soak. This helps to soften the chia seeds and makes them easier to digest.
- In the morning add all the other ingredients – pumpkin puree, maple syrup, tiny pinch of salt, pumpkin pie spice.
- Mix everything together with a fork (if you want your chia seeds to stay intact) or blend the mixture in a handheld blender until all ingredients are smoothy mixed.
- Taste and add adjust the flavour to your liking. I sometimes add more pumpkin puree or extra maple syrup.