Healthy chocolate and chia smoothie, made with dairy-free milk and no added sugar. Full of protein and fibre, this smoothie is a nutritious start to your day!
Why make this recipe?
- Great way to start the day
- Healthy smoothie, which is substantial enough to replace your breakfast
- No refined sugar or carbohydrates (unless you want to add some in!)
MORE SMOOTHIE RECIPES
- Chocolate & Peanut Butter >>
- Almonds & Dates & >>
- Mocha Smoothie >>
- Pear & Greens Smoothie with Tofu >>
To make this Chocolate & Chia Smoothie Recipe, I use pretty much any chocolate I have at hand. The darker the chocolate the deeper the flavour, but you can easily use milk chocolate bar if that’s all you have. Plain chocolate is naturally high in protein and fibre and low in sugar, which of course is better than sweet milk or white chocolate.
You can also use cocoa powder instead of chocolate.
Chia seeds are great source of protein and vitamins, but you need to prepare them to use them in this recipe. Chia seeds can absorb a lot of water, so it’s best to soak them up before you use them, instead of using them dry.
You can use any kind of chia seeds for this recipe, including white, black or ground chia seeds.
Cream cheese is a great source of protein and vitamins and perfect for adding to your morning smoothie. It adds creaminess and prevents your smoothie from separating.
You can also use silken miso, yoghurt or greek yoghurt instead.
You can use any kind of milk you have available. I often use plant based milks, but any milk with work with this recipe.
How to make Chocolate & Chia Smoothie recipe
Mix the milk with the chia seeds and leave for about 10-15 minimum to let the seeds soak up the liquid. If you remember, do this well in advance, even the night before and leave the milk with the seeds covered in the fridge. The longer you leave the chia seeds, the softer they are going to be and the easier it will be to digest them.
Place the milk and the chia seeds into a blender and add the avocado, cream cheese (or equivalent), chocolate (or cocoa powder), salt, spice and agave syrup (if using).
Blend in a mixer or using a handheld blender stick for 2-3 minutes until the smoothie thickens a little. Taste and adjust the flavour to your liking.
Additional ingredients that work well with this Chocolate & Chia Smoothie
- Banana – swap one banana for the avocado in the recipe
- Peanut Butter
- Coffee – add 1/2 teaspoon of granulated instant coffee to the milk or use real coffee instead of some of the milk
Chocolate & Chia Seeds Smoothie
- Food processor or hand held stick blender
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds pre-soaked or 2 tablespoon of soaked seeds if you are making them separate
- 1/2 cup plant based milk or milk of your choice
- 1/4 avocado
- 1/4 cup plant based cream cheese or yoghurt or silken miso
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder or about 1/3 of a dark chocolate bar
- pinch mixed spice or spice of your choice
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup optional
- tiny pinch fine salt
- Mix the milk with the chia seeds and leave for about 10-15 minimum to let the seeds soak up the liquid. If you remember, do this well in advance, even the night before and leave the milk with the seeds covered in the fridge.
- Place the milk and the chia seeds into a blender and add the avocado, cream cheese (or equivalent), chocolate (or cocoa powder), salt, spice and agave syrup (if using).
- Blend in a mixer or using a hand held blender stick for 2-3 minutes until the smoothie thickens a little.
- Taste, adjust the flavour and enjoy!