This healthy pear smoothie is made with green tea, ginger, zesty lemon, plenty of green vegetables and tofu for added protein.
It’s very low in sugar, dairy free and very light to digest. Great way to start the day or have it as a healthy drink in the afternoon or after your gym workout.
Why make this smoothie?
- Low in sugar
- Healthy smoothie with green tea antioxidants
- Dairy free & high in natural protein
MY OTHER FAVOURITE SMOOTHIES
How to make this smoothie extra filling
This Pear & Greens Smoothie is about 400 calories, if you add the ingredients in the quantities specified in my recipe. There is already plenty of fiber and protein, but very low fat (close to 0).
If you wanted to make the smoothie a bit more filling, you can add raw egg to your smoothie (extra 75 cal & extra fat & extra protein) or any types of oats (extra fibre) or flavour free oil (I use sunflower or groundnut).
I’ve deliberately used green vegetables that are very low in sugar. You’d be surprised that even ingredients like vegetables have sugar at all, but unfortunately, it’s true.
You can change the vegetables around, but do try to use as many varieties as you can. This ensures that the smoothie has good balanced ingredients high in natural antioxidants, minerals and other nutritions.
The sweetness in this recipe comes mainly from the pears. You can use any kind of pears, including over-rippen pears. I usually peel the pears, but you could use the whole pear (apart from the stalk and the core).
Use tea bags or loose tea and make twice or three times the strength that you would normally make. Simply use the same amount of water (say large cup) and use 2 tea bags instead of one. This will give you enough of flavour.
You could also use matcha tea or herbal teas such as nettle. Anything that’s green, lemony or neutral in flavour will work with this smoothie recipe.
Lemon juice or lime juice – citrus juice adds zing to the smoothie and without it, the smoothie might taste a little bland.
I’ve used tofu in this recipe to increase the protein levels in this smoothie and to make the smoothie more filling. I usually use smoothies instead of breakfast, so I need something more filling.
- Add all ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust the flavour to your liking.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
What to do if you find this smoothie not sweet enough
You can use more pears or add sweet cinnamon powder to make the smoothie slightly sweeter.
You can also increase the amount of honey or agave in the smoothie or use my homemade pear simple syrup recipe to add extra flavour and sweetness.
MORE SMOOTHIE RECIPES
Storing & keeping your smoothie
My Pear & Greens Smoothie is best used straightaway, but if you want to keep your smoothie for a bit longer, it should be O.K for 12-24 hrs in the fridge.
This smoothie does tend to separate, so to bring your smoothie back together, stir it again when you are ready to drink it or add extra tofu to make the smoothie a little creamier.
If you make far too much, you can also freeze this smoothie and use it later.
Pear & Greens Smoothie with Tofu
- food blender or stick blender
- 1 pear roughly chopped and core removed
- 1 cup green tea or matcha tea made from 2 teabags
- 1/4 of cucumber about 100 grams
- 1/2 stalk celery
- 1/3 cup tofu
- 1 teaspoon agave honey, maple or pear syrup
- pinch of ginger powder or 1/4 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice optional
- First prepare the tea, by boiling water and pouring it in a large cup with 2 green tea tea bags (to make the flavour stronger). Leave to infuse for 3-5 minutes. Remove the tea bags and leave to cool down (or speed up the process by putting it in the fridge). You can also prepare the tea in advance – the night or day before.
- Once your green tea is cold, pour it into your blender and add the rest of the ingredients – pear, celery, cucumber, tofu, ginger, agave syrup, lemon juice (if using).
- If you want to make the smoothie sweeter, add agave syrup or your choice of sweetener.
- Blend for few minutes until smooth.
- Taste, adjust to the flavour to your liking and pour into your favourite glass
- Enjoy fresh!