Delicious and light green smoothie made with vegetables, green apple, zingy lemon & ginger and no added sugar. Great for low sugar diets, diabetic friendly and low in calories. Vegan, Dairy free & Gluten Free Recipe.
Why make this smoothie?
- Great way to use up green salad vegetables
- No added sugar & only low sugar vegetables used
- Low on calories and very light to digest
- Budget friendly & low cost
MY OTHER FAVOURITE SMOOTHIES
- Chocolate & Oat Smoothie (no sugar) >>
- Strawberry & Yoghurt Smoothie >>
- Almond, Dates & Spices Smoothie >>
I’ve deliberately used green vegetables that are very low in sugar. You’d be surprised that even ingredients like vegetables have sugar at all, but unfortunately, it’s true.
You can change the vegetables around, but do try to use as many varieties as you can. This ensures that the smoothie has good balanced ingredients high in natural antioxidants, minerals and other nutrition.
The only noticeable sugar in this healthy green smoothie will come from the green apple. Again, because I wanted to make this recipe as low in sugar as possible I’ve chosen green apple over red apple.
To keep this smoothie as light as possible I’ve used tap water. I normally use milk, cream or yoghurt, but they do contain fair amount of natural sugar, so I’ve not used them in this recipe.
Lemon juice or lime juice – citrus juice adds zing to the smoothie and without it, the smoothie might taste a little bland.
Ginger – ground or fresh ginger is great to add to your smoothie for the flavour (and it helps with digestion)
To add a bit of substance to this green smoothie and to make sure that this smoothie keeps me going for a bit, I’ve added some sunflower oil. I also use vegetable oil or groundnut oil – simply something that’s high in fat (but the good type) and will help me to maintain my energy levels.
If you dont’ want to use oil, you can also use avocado, almond butter or cashew butter, but I tried to keep this recipe low budget, so I didn’t include it in the main recipe card.
- Add all ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust the flavour to your liking.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
What to do if you find this smoothie not sweet enough
The whole point of making this smoothie is to stay away from sugar, so initially, I’d say that your taste buds are not adjusted to the low level of sugar still present in this healthy green smoothie.
If you find the taste too savoury or not sweet enough, try to add powdered cinnamon, aniseed or other mixed spice.
This will make the taste more interesting and your taste buds might be happy with just that. When you stay off sugar for a longer period of time, you’ll start noticing the subtle nuances of flavour. Next time, when you make the same smoothie, you’ll probably think it’s sweet enough!
Healthy Green Smoothie (No added sugar)
- food processor or a stick blender
- 1 cup fresh spinach or 1/2 cup of frozen spinach
- 1 green apple
- 1/4 cucumber
- 1/2 stalk celery
- 1 leaf kale
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- pinch of ginger powder or 1/4 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger
- Rinse all the vegetables and the apple in a cold water and roughly chop them. You can keep the skin on the apple or peel it if you prefer (cut out the core and seeds)
- Add all the greens into the blender and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend until smooth – about 2 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the flavour by adding more spices or lemon.
- Pour into your favourite glass and enjoy!