This healthy smoothie is made with green tea, spinach, zesty lemon and other green vegetables. It’s very low in sugar, dairy free and very light to digest. Great way to start the day or have it as a healthy snack in the afternoon.
Why make this smoothie?
- No added sugar
- Healthy smoothie with green tea antioxidants
MY OTHER FAVOURITE SMOOTHIES
I’ve deliberately used green vegetables that are very low in sugar. You’d be surprised that even ingredients like vegetables have sugar at all, but unfortunately, it’s true.
You can change the vegetables around, but do try to use as many varieties as you can. This ensures that the smoothie has good balanced ingredients high in natural antioxidants, minerals and other nutrition.
I usually have frozen pineapple chunks in the freezer, which is why I make this smoothie. If you didn’t have any pineapple, you can also replace it with green or regular apple, grapes, plums, pears or other lighter types of fruit.
The sweetness in this recipe comes from the fruit, so you want something that sweet enough, but also something that will compliment the green tea flavour. For example if you use banana, that would completely over power the subtle green tea flavour.
Use tea bags or loose tea and make twice or three times the strength that you would normally make. Simply use the same amount of water (say large cup) and use 2-3 tea bags instead of one. This will give you a great flavour.
Lemon juice or lime juice – citrus juice adds zing to the smoothie and without it, the smoothie might taste a little bland.
- Add all ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust the flavour to your liking.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
What to do if you find this smoothie not sweet enough
You can use more fruit or add sweet cinnamon powder to make the smoothie slightly sweeter. I try my best to avoid adding sugar to my smoothies, but that’s completely personal choice.
If you really needed to add more sweetness to this smoothie, you can try my homemade brown sugar syrup, coconut sugar or any of the coconut sugar alternatives, honey, agave or pomegranate molasses alternatives.
Start with just a teaspoon of the sugar syrup and only add more if you feel that the smoothies needs it.
MORE SMOOTHIE RECIPES
Spinach & Green Tea Smoothie
- food blender or stick blender
- 1 cup green tea cold
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves or 1/2 cup frozen spinach
- 1-2 stalks celery
- 1/2 cup pineapple fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- First prepare the tea, by boiling water and pouring it in a large cup with 2 green tea tea bags (to make the flavour stronger). Leave to infuse for 3-5 minutes. Remove the tea bags and leave to cool down (or speed up the process by putting it in the fridge).
- Once your green tea is cold, pour it into your blender and add the rest of the ingredients – spinach, celery, pineapple, lemon juice.
- If you want to make the smoothie sweeter, add more pineapple.
- Blend for few minutes until smooth.
- Taste, adjust to the flavour to your liking and pour into your favourite glass
- Enjoy fresh!