Delicious blend of sweet spices perfect to mix into your breakfast oatmeal. Can be also used for cake, biscuit baking or spicing up your morning latte.
Why make this recipe?
- Authentic oatmeal spice mix based on the traditional recipe
- Put the spice into a pretty jam jar with fabric decorations, ribbon and a personalised label and you have a lovely gift for your foodie friends
- Use it for making your breakfast oatmeal or add flavour to cakes, biscuit recipes or even breakfast yeasted pancakes
What exactly Oatmeal spice mix?
This type of mixed spice was created to flavour oatmeal and to spice up the perhaps bland flavour of different oats.
You will need all your spices finely grounded before you start mixing everything together.
You can use something like a coffee grinder to finely ground them, but it’s sometimes easier to buy the spices in ground version.
Cardamon is also used for making sweet bread, brioche or cardamon buns. It’s usually available as a cardamom pod, so you might need to grind the cardamom seeds first.
Cinnamon is the easiest spice to get hold off in this recipe, just make sure that is finely ground.
I’ve recently seen ‘Sweet Cinnamon’, which has a lovely smell and taste and it’s much sweeter to the taste, than normal cinnamon.
Cloves is quite a strong flavoured spice, so don’t add more than the recipe calls for. Cloves can have a slightly bitter taste.
Again, make sure that you use the ground and dried version of ginger. If you end up using fresh ginger, finely grate it first and leave it to dry.
Finely ground it and leave it out to dry completely before adding it to your spice mix.
How to make the Oatmeal spice mix Recipe
Make sure that all your spices are ground first. If not, ground them as finely as you can and use a fine sieve to get rid of any large particles.
Measure everything up with proper measuring spoons. You want to make sure that you add your spices to the level of the teaspoons (not heaped).
If you want to add more heat/warmth to your spice mix, increase the amount of ginger. Try 1/4 teaspoon extra to start of with – add more if needed.
Mix everything together in a jar, label and use up within 6 months.
How to use this spice mix
This spice mix was originally invented to be added to your breakfast oatmeal or porridge to improve the oats flavour.
Depending on how much flavour you like, add 1/4 teaspoon (per adult portion) to your breakfast oatmeal as you are making it. Add more if needed.
Other uses for this Oatmeal spice mix include:
- Add a bit of the spice to the pancakes batter
- Apple cakes or other fruit cakes will work with this spice mix well
- Add to fruit crumble
- Add to vanilla cupcakes batter instead of vanilla
- Sprinkle on coffee or latte
- Add some to your breakfast smoothie
How to store spice mix
Once mixed, store in an airtight container, such as jam jar or a plastic box. Your spice won’t go off as such, but it’s best to mix just what you need for a week or so.
I’d suggest to make this recipe quantity and see how long it will last and make more if you like.
Oatmeal Spice Mix
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- Make sure that all your spices are ground first. If not, ground them as finelly as you can and use a fine sieve to get rid of any large particles.
- Measure everything up with a proper measuring spoons. You want to make sure that you add your spices to the level of the teaspoons (not heaped).
- Mix everything together in a jar, label and use up within 6 months.