There is not much better flavour combination than chocolate and banana. Combine it with crunchy peanut butter, breakfast oats and full-fat yoghurt and you have a protein & calorie loaded meal.
I often make this version of smoothie as a breakfast porridge with pretty much the same quantities, so I know this portion fills me up for the morning and I’m ready to start my day. If you find the portion too big (it will make about 400 ml) you can always share it or leave a bit for later (when you come back from morning run).
I’ve deliberately left out any sugar or sugar substitute as most of the ingredients already contain some form of sugar. If you use ripen banana it will give you plenty of sweetness without the need to add any sugar.
Since this smoothie doesn’t contain any added sugar, you need to sharpen that existing sweetness with a tiny pinch of salt. This is quite important, so don’t skip it.
Talking about sugar, you can make this smoothie sweeter if you choose a milk chocolate, but I usually go for dark 70% cocoa solids chocolate. But smooth milk chocolate goes really well with this recipe too.
One extra step I always do with this recipe (or any oat’s based smoothies), is that I leave the oats sit in a boiling water for a bit (even put it in the microwave to boil and cook). This helps to make the oats easier to digest.
Until next and the next smoothie!
More smoothies for you to try
- Pistachio & Spinach Breakfast Smoothie >>
- Almond & Dates Smoothie >>
- Pumpkin Pie Spice & Oats Smoothie >>
Healthy chocolate, peanut butter & banana smoothie recipe
- 1/3 cup breakfast oats or gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup boiling water or enough to cover the oats
- pinch of salt
- large pinch of cinnamon
- 1 small banana or 1/2 of a large one
- 30 g milk or dark chocolate or more if you like
- 2 tablespoons smooth or crunchy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup yoghurt full fat, dairy free if you like
- 1/2 cup milk or water dairy free if you like
- Place the oats in a mixer and pour boiling water over them, just enough to cover and a little bit more.
- Add the chocolate to the hot oats (this will melt it beautifully).
- Leave to cool down.
- Add all the other ingredients.
- Blend everything together and adjust the taste to suit.