Most of the time I’m quite happy to just eat spaghetti with grated cheese, ketchup and a bit of butter, but sometimes it’s nice to do make the effort and prepare something a bit different.
I’ve used low fat meat for this recipe, but any kind of mincemeat will work just fine. Normally, it’s just the two of us for meal, so I’m using a smaller amount of meat and other ingredients. If you are cooking for the whole family, just double up the recipe.
I didn’t include recipe for the spaghetti or the spaghetti sauce as I though you probably have your favourite one anyway.
Hope you enjoy making this recipe and do let me know how you got on the comments below.
More main course dishes
- Butternut Squash Macaroni Cheese >>
- Sausage & Gnocchi with herbs >>
- Dublin Coddle – Sausage stew >>
- Smoked Paprika Roasted Chicken >>
- Beef Stew with Guinness >>
Low-Fat Meatballs for spaghetti
- 250 g lean minced pork
- ½ tsp finely chopped rosemary
- ½ tsp mustard
- 1/2 garlic clove crushed
- pinch of salt & freshly milled pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder or fresh onion (chopped) 1 teaspoon
- Heat your oven to about 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Line a baking tray with foil and brush with vegetable or sunflower oil.
- Mash the meat with a fork and add the seasoning, rosemary, mustard, garlic and mix well.
- Roll into 10 large or 15 smaller meatballs with your hands.
- Place in the baking tray and coat with extra cooking oil using a pastry brush or oil spray.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes (depending on the size) until nicely brown.
- Whilst your meatballs are baking, prepare your spaghetti and sauce using your favourite recipe (or using a shop bought jar of spaghetti sauce).
- Plate up the spaghetti, pour over the sauce and add the meatballs. Serve with fresh basil leaves.