This gluten free banana and walnuts bread is easy to make and taste delicious too. This recipe is perfect solution if you end up with too many bananas as this cake mix uses three medium sized bananas. I’ve baked this recipe with gluten free flour to make something a bit different from the bakes I normally make.
Why bake this recipe?
- Gluten Free (and easy to digest)
- Way to use up ripen bananas
- Easy to make (just mix & bake)
- Easy to freeze
- Keeps well
- Great for snacks
Ingredients and substitutions
Make sure you use nicely ripen bananas (even a bit of black bits are fine). This will make your cake beautifully sweet and full of banana flavour. If you use green or even firm yellow bananas, you might end up with something that won’t have much of a banana flavour.
I’ve used 3 medium sized bananas for this recipe. If you use too many or too little you’ll change the proportions of the recipe. If you are not sure, have some spare bananas ready mashed up to see if you need extra as you combine your recipe. The final dough should be fairly wet, otherwise when you bake it it will be too dry.
Gluten Free Flour
It’s easier to use already prepared mix of plain gluten free flour, that has been blended by the specialists baking companies. Check if your flour mix already contains xanthan gum and if it does don’t add it in again.
You can swap the walnuts in the recipe for other inclusions, such as:
- Chopped up hazelnuts
- Chocolate chips (milk or plain)
- Chopped up and pitted dates
- Toffee pieces
Tips on how to make the best gluten free banana bread
Make sure you mix the flour well
Gluten free flour often sticks together, so it’s best to use a hand whisk or even a handheld mixer to mix the flour.
How to tell that your banana bread is baked
It’s best to use a wooden skewer (or a toothpick) to check that your banana bread is done. After the initial 25-30 minutes stick the skewer into the middle of the banana bread and if it comes out clean, the bread is baked. If not, add another 5 minutes on the baking time and test again.
More gluten free bakes
- Pumpkin Pie Muffins >>
- Peanut Butter & Chocolate Biscuits >>
- Carob Pancakes >>
- Buckwheat & Banana Pancakes >>
Gluten Free Banana Bread with Walnuts
- 2 pound loaf cake tin (or a bread tin)
- 3 cups gluten – free flour mix or 375 grams
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch fine salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar about 70 grams
- 2 eggs
- 3 bananas medium size
- ½ cup coconut oil or sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or rum
- 50 grams walnuts or hazelnuts (chopped)
- Preheat your oven to 180C or 350 F
- Line your loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients including the gluten free flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl place the bananas with the eggs and mash them up with a fork. Make sure you get rid of any lumps.
- Add the coconut oil and lemon juice into the banana and egg mix and stir carefully.
- Pour the banana mixture into the flour mix and stir in. Don't over mix it at this stage.
- Add in the chopped up walnuts and fold in to the mixture.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared baking tin.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes and check with a wooden skewer to see when it's done.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Leave a Reply