Quick and easy to make frozen banana yogurt popsicles perfect treat for the summer or when you fancy ice cream.
Why make my banana yogurt popsicles?
- Simple ingredients
- No need for complicated equipment or ice cream maker
- Sugar – free treat (only natural sugar in yogurt and banana)
- Filling snack (if using full-fat yogurt)
Ingredients & substitutions
This recipe is perfect for leftover bananas before they ripen too much and go off. Don’t use too green bananas as they won’t have much flavour.
I prefer to use full-fat Greek yogurt (because of the protein and natural fat), but you can use any type of yoghurt you like. This is great way to make your homemade ice creams healthier as we are not using cream in this recipe.
- Full-fat Greek Yoghurt
- Plant based (dairy free) plain yogurt
- Soya Yogurt
- Coconut yogurt
- Oat yogurt
I’ve used cinnamon or nutmeg previously with this recipe and both work well. You only need a pinch to bring out the flavour of the banana more and if you don’t have cinnamon (or don’t want to) you certainly can leave it out.
I think a tiny pinch of salt helps to bring all the flavours together, otherwise the banana flavour can be a little flat.
A little magic ingredient! Not only that the lemon juice helps to keep the bananas yellow (and prevent them from browning too much), but it also helps to sharpen the banana flavour. The best way to see whether your banana yogurt popsicles need it, is to try it without the lemon juice, taste it and add if you feel that the flavour is missing something. It’s usually more lemon or extra salt that’s needed.
Banana on it’s own is a great combination, but there are other flavours that compliment bananas and can be added in.
- Banana with yoghurt and chocolate chips (milk or dark chocolate)
- Banana with yoghurt and peanut butter (extra protein to give you more energy!)
- Banana with yoghurt and blueberries
My top tips on how to make these banana yogurt popsicles
More recipes for ice cream treats
- Matcha Green Tea Ice cream >>
- Cherry & Lemon sorbet >>
- Traditional creamy vanilla ice cream >>
- Chocolate & Peanut Butter ice cream (Sugar-Free) >>
- Blueberry & Lemon sorbet >>
Banana Yogurt Popsicle
- Popsicle Moulds
- Popsicle Sticks
- 4 bananas
- 220 grams yogurt
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg optional
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Chop the bananas and add to a mixing bowl, together with the yoghurt and tiny pinch of salt.
- Mash the bananas until they are all incorporated.
- Add the lemon juice and cinnamon or nutmeg (if using). Taste and add any more spice or lemon juice if needed.
- Optional step – you can blend everything in a mixer, but hand held whisk is fine too. I often just use fork to mix everything together.
- Spoon into popsicle or ice cream lolly moulds, add the lolly sticks.
- Place in the freezer for several hours or overnight.
- To release the lollypops run them under hot water (or submerge them in cup of hot water for few seconds).