Fabulous combination of light lemon sponge infused with lemon syrup and zesty lemon icing, these lemon drizzle cupcakes are amazing afternoon tea treat, Birthday party cakes and a great gifts too!
This recipe is very similar to my Lemon Drizzle Loaf Cake, but this cupcake version includes delicious lemon buttercream icing and you can make it with plain or self-raising flour.
More lemon recipe ideas
Savoury lemon recipes
More cupcake recipes
Lemon drizzle cupcakes
- 320 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- Grated zest of 2 unwaxed lemons
- 350 g plain flour or self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder leave out if using self-raising flour
- pinch of salt depends on your taste
- 250 ml whole milk
- 200 g unsalted butter – melted
Lemon Drizzle Syrup
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- 50 g caster sugar
- 100 ml water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or to taste
- 150 grams icing sugar
- 100 grams unsalted butter
- tiny pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas3
- Prepare 12 hole muffin – cupcake tin with muffin cases or higher cupcake cases.
- Put the sugar, eggs and lemon zest in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat until well mixed.
- Mix the flour, baking powder (if using) and salt in another mixing bowl.
- Measure out the milk in a measuring jug.
- Add one—third of the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and beat well. Then beat in one-third of the milk. Repeat this process twice more until everything has been added. Turn the mixer up to high speed and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Turn the mixer down to low speed, pour in the melted butter and beat until well incorporated
- Spoon out the mixture into the prepared muffin/cupcake tin and bake in the preheated oven for about 45 min or until golden brown and the sponge bounces back when touched.
- While the cake is baking, put the lemon juice, sugar and 100ml water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over low heat. Raise the heat and boil until it has reduced by half, or until it has a think syrup consistency.
- When the cupcakes comes out of the oven, put it on a wire cooling rack and prick it with a wooden skewer in several places. Then carefully spoon over the syrup.
- Leave out on the wire rack to cool down completely.
- To make the lemon icing, mix together icing sugar with more lemon juice and butter and whisk with a handheld whisk until you have a very light texture. Pipe or spoon over the cold lemon cake and decorate the top with leftover lemon zest or lemon decorations.