Simple, but delicious roasted chicken infused with lemon, garlic and thyme. The zesty flavour of lemon compliments the garlic and thyme amazingly well.
Why make this roasted chicken with lemon and garlic?
- Simple roast, which doesn’t take much preparing
- Juicy meat (because you rub butter and seasoning under the skin)
- Great flavour
Top tips for making this recipe
- Use non-treated (organic lemons) for this recipe as you’ll be using the zest and the actual lemons
- After you finish baking the chicken, use the cavity stuffing (garlic, lemon, thyme and seasoning) for making a simple gravy or sauce to serve with your chicken
- Adjust the baking time according to the size of your actual turkey. A rule of thumb is to use 30 minutes for every 500g (or 1 pound) of meat. A lot of packaging these days shows exactly how long the chicken ment to be baked for.
Perfect side dishes to serve with your chicken
- Easy to make au gratin potatoes >>
- Creamy potatoes mash with herbs >>
- Baked Potatoes >>
- Sriracha Roasted Cauliflower >>
- Couscous >>
Roasted Chicken with Lemon & Garlic
- whole chicken medium size
- 2 teaspoons dried or fresh thyme
- 2 lemons non-waxed (organic)
- 1 whole garlic head about 6-7 pieces
- 2-4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 190C or 170C fan oven or gas 5 or 350 F.
- Oil a suitable roasting tin (larger than the chicken with lifted edges to keep in the meat juice)
- Prepare the garlic by peeling it, and keeping about 5-6 whole. Chop 1-2 in small pieces.
- Gather zest the lemons (keep it separately) and cut the lemons in half.
- Mix the butter with salt and pepper, the chopped or mashed garlic, the lemon zest and some thyme and rub it around the outside of the chicken. Lift the skin and rub the mixture in between the skin and the meat.
- Stuff the chicken cavity with the halved lemons, garlic pieces, salt, pepper and the rest of the thyme.
- Tie the legs with a baking twine, so that the inside stuffing won't come out during the baking.
- Place on your baking tin and bake for 90 minutes before testing (if the juices run clear the chicken is done)