Healthy omelette to make from leftover egg whites, pieces of turkey meat and spinach
So, whilst most recipes with egg whites focus on the calorie count as the reason for making an omelette without egg yolk, my reason is a bit more pragmatic.
When I bake something like cinnamon star bread, which is an enriched dough, I’m left with egg whites as the dough works brilliantly with just the egg yolks.
I often freeze the remaining eggs, but it’s probably much easier to turn the egg whites into an omelette or scrambled eggs.
Why make this recipe
- Use up your leftover egg whites
- High in protein and low in fat (and cholesterol)
- Very low in calories
- Light egg taste packed with vegetables (spinach)
To make the omelette extra fluffy, you can whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and then carefully add the spinach, turkey meat and any other fillings. Carefully pour in medium hot frying pan, so that you don’t disperse too many bubbles.
MORE OMELETTE RECIPES
What does white omelette taste like?
Egg white omelette is much lighter in flavour (and texture) then omelette from a whole egg. But this doesn’t meant that it’s less tasty! The extra ingredients, such as spinach, turkey and herbs really work together and will make your egg white omelette taste delicious.
Notes on ingredients
You will need about three egg whites equivalent per person.
If you feel, that it’s a bit odd to make an omelette with just egg whites, you can always add another whole egg. You probably won’t taste the difference that much.
Use fresh spinach for a light and fluffy omelette. If you are using frozen spinach, skip the first part of the recipe and add the spinach directly to the egg whites. The spinach adds a lot of nutrition and a healthy colour.
If you didn’t have spinach, you can also use some spring onion (scallions) cut up thinly or some fresh basil (but not as much amount as spinach as these substitutes are much more flavoursome and they would overpower the rest of the flavours).
I use pre-cooked turkey slices or leftover chicken meat, which I cut up in smaller pieces to mix in. You can also use any other pre-cooked meat, sausages or ham.
You can add some fresh herbs to garnish the omelette, such as chives, parsley or spring onion (scallions).
I sometimes also use dry herbs, if I don’t have fresh ones and the flavour is still really good. If I’m using dried herbs I mix them in with the eggs as the flavour comes out better that way.
How to make egg whites omelette with spinach and turkey
To prepare the spinach, heat up a frying pan to a medium heat, add vegetable oil and hand full of fresh spinach.
Cook over medium heat until spinach is wilted. Remove from the frying pan and keep for later.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until they are nice and fluffy. To make your omelette extra fluffy, you can whisk them until soft peaks form.
Add a pinch of pepper and salt to the egg mixture.
Making sure that your frying pan is on low to medium heat, add more vegetable oil and pour over the egg whites.
Sprinkle the turkey meat and the cooked spinach over the omelette and let everything cook for about 3-5 minutes or until the bottom of your omelette is golden. You can fold over the omelette and turn it to cook more evenly.
How to serve your white egg omelette
How to re-heat egg white omelette
The best way to serve the egg white omelette is straightaway from the frying pan. But sometimes, this is not possible and the omelette goes cold.
To re-heat up your omelette, just place it back on the frying pan and heat over very low flame or heat. Don’t let the frying pan sizzle. To prevent the omelette burning, pour a little bit of water underneath of your omelette. This will steam the omelette as the water heats up and it will evaporate leaving your omelette light and warm.
You can also put a lid over the frying pan to heat up the omelette even more quicker.
To re-heat your omelette in microwave, just place your omelette on a suitable plate and heat on full power for 20-30 seconds. To make things easier and quicker, fold the omelette in half – this will make the omelette a bit thicker and heat up more evenly.
How long will the egg white omelette last?
Ideally, you want to make your egg white omelette and eat it straightaway. But if you end up with leftovers and want to keep the omelette for later, your omelette should be fine for 1-2 days in the fridge.
Since you are using eggs, you want to make sure that you eat them as soon as possible. Because they are cooked, they will be perfect fine for few days, but you still don’t want to leave them uneaten for too long.
You can also freeze egg white omelette, but not if you’ve used previously frozen spinach or the turkey (or other meat). The eggs do get a bit of a rubbery texture when they are defrosted, so I’d only freeze the omelette if I didn’t have any other option.
Egg whites omelette with spinach and turkey
- 3 egg whites or whatever you have left
- hand full of fresh spinach if using frozen skip the first part of the recipe
- 1 thick slice turkey meat or about a handful of chopped up or torn turkey meat pieces
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of fresh herbs to garnish chives, parsley or even dry herbs if you like
- To prepare the spinach, heat up a frying pan to a medium heat, add vegetable oil and hand full of fresh spinach.
- Cook over medium heat until spinach is wilted. Remove from the frying pan and keep for later.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until they are nice and fluffy. To make your omelette extra fluffy, you can whisk them until soft peaks form.
- Add a pinch of pepper and salt to the egg mixture.
- Making sure that your frying pan is on low to medium heat, add more vegetable oil and pour over the egg whites.
- Sprinkle the turkey meat and the cooked spinach over the omelette and let everything cook for about 3-5 minutes or until the bottom of your omelette is golden. You can fold over the omelette and turn it to cook more evenly.
- Serve with extra salad and fresh herbs garnish.
This blog post was originally written on 7 September 2020 and last updated on 10 October 2022