Easy to make avocado soup with delicious toppings, served best cold and ready in less than 10 minutes. This simple avocado soup is perfect for warm spring or summer day and makes a great alternative to your lunch menu.
Why make this recipe?
- It’s so easy to make!
- Takes less than 10 minutes
- Usually served cold (great in summer or if you haven’t got an access to hob or a stove)
- Healthy & refreshing
What exactly is avocado soup?
Avocado soup is mainly served cold and it makes great light meal in late spring or summer. It can be also warmed up, but it doesn’t need to be cooked.
Any specialist equipment needed?
I always use a hand blender to make this soup, but I suppose you could just use fork to blend everything together. You’d probably get some chunks in your soup, but I don’t think that would matter too much.
Ingredients & Possible Substitutions
I prefer to use ripen avocado as it gives more flavour. You can easily make this soup with one or two avocados, so don’t feel that you need to make more than what you are going to eat. Avocados are fairly pricey, so this soup is more of a treat than a regular meal on our menu.
Stock – Vegetable or Chicken
The flavour of your avocado soup will vary slightly depending on what type of stock you use. Vegetable stock is perfect if you just want to compliment your avocado and chicken stock will add in additional flavour.
I’ve not tried beef stock as I think it would overpower the flavour of avocado too much.
The method – Instructions
This recipe is so easy, just blend everything in a mixer, pour it to a bowl and serve it with a garnish of your choice.
How else you can make this recipe?
Vegan & Vegetarian & Dairy Free
You can easily replace the cream or plain yoghurt with plant based milk, cream or yoghurt. Use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
Avocado is usually safe only at 1/8 of avocado a day, so you’d need to water down this soup quite a bit to make it safe. Personally I find that I’m OK with about 1/2 avocado, but you’ll need to test this yourself as every digestive system reacts differently.
What else you can serve this soup with?
This soup is great with crusty bread or freshly baked rolls with homemade butter and herbs.
- Quick (no knead) beer bread >>
- Soft yeasted bread rolls >>
- Simple dinner biscuits/ rolls (vegan version) >>
- Soda bread (no buttermilk) >>
Serving size & can I scale up or down this recipe?
This recipe will give you 2 large bowls or 4 smaller ones, so it really depends on your appetite. Since you are only blending the ingredients, it’s really easy to scale down or up this recipe. Just half the recipe if you want to make a smaller amount.
How to serve the soup
A nice small soup bowl (or a cereal bowl) works well or even large glass. Serve with your choice of toppings, such as:
- Red pepper
- Fried onion or garlic
- Chives or parsley
- Sunflower seeds (or any other seeds)
Can this recipe be made in advance?
This soup is very quick and easy to make so there is hardy any need to make it in advance, but if you wanted to, make sure that you store it in the fridge and serve it within 12 hrs. The avocado will start to go brown fairly soon, so it’s not a good idea to keep this soup for very long. The brown colour doesn’t impact the flavour, but it doesn’t look great (especially if you have a guests).
How to store this recipe if you have any leftovers
Honestly, it’s just best to make this recipe and eat it straightaway. The avocado will start to go brown quickly, but it’s certainly possible to keep the soup for 24 hrs in the fridge and it will still taste O.K.
More soup recipes
Simple Avocado Soup
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup vegetable broth or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons greek yogurt or plain yoghurt or sour cream
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt to taste
- pinch of pepper to taste
- Cut up the avocados and remove skin and the avocado stone.
- Using a food processor or a hand-held blender, blend the avocado, vegetable or chicken broth, lime juice, yogurt and salt until creamy and incorporated.
- Add 1.5 cups of water and carry on blending.
- serve straightaway (cold) with topped up with herbs, cut up peppers, grated cheese, seeds or other suitable toppings.